• Are you after an authentic, relaxed ceremony?

  • Call Me Now!

How to get legally married in Australia

Before tying the knot, it’s important to know the legalities of getting married in Australia.

Read the below information to ensure that your marriage in Australia is binding here and overseas.

Do I need to be a citizen to get married in Australia?

Short answer, no. While you don’t need to be a citizen to get married in Australia, you do need to follow the legal requirements of Australian citizens when they get married locally.

Please Note: If you are an international couple that is considering de facto or partnership immigration, that is, gaining permanent residency in Australia following your marriage, you will still need to sign a NOIM prior to getting married in Australia.

Let’s chat about your legal requirements

Download the Notice of Intended Marriage Form

Notice of Intended Marriage

Click on the link to download and fill out your Notice of Intended Marriage form
Note: Your form must be signed in my presence.

What do I need to get married in Australia?

Getting married in Australia is a fairly simple process, even for those born outside of Australia.

Step 1: NOIM Form (Notice of Intended Marriage)

A NOIM is a Notice of Intended Marriage form that must be signed by both partners one month prior to your wedding. Australian marriage law states that, regardless of your country of birth, you must sign the NOIM and have your nominated celebrant submit it. The NOIM is valid for 18 months.

Step 2: Additional paperwork

If you plan to gain permanent residency in Australia after the wedding, some countries require some extra paperwork in addition to the NOIM. Some countries may need you to submit a ‘Letter for Immigration’ for the Australian Government. To see whether this paperwork applies to you, visit www.homeaffairs.gov.au.

Step 3: Proof of identification

Both for Australian-born couples, both parties are required to show their birth certificates or passports, driver’s licence or photo I.D card. For those born outside of Australia, your birth certificate is required with an English translation, or passport from your country of birth as well as your driver’s licence.

Step 4: Second marriage couples

If either partner has been married previously, marriage law requires you to show your Divorce Decree Absolute papers. Similarly, if a previous spouse is deceased, a Death Certificate is required.

Step 5: Witnesses

This part is easy. Get two of your closest friends (if eloping, this can be the photographer on the day or your very closest family members) who are both over 18 and can sign as witnesses of your wedding. These people will need to be present on the day.

How I can help

As your celebrant, I can help provide a fun, loving and memorable ceremony.

But my most important job is to make sure all legal requirements are met.

As a part of my fees, I provide you with advice and support to ensure all marriage law requirements have been adhered to. I’ll even submit all paperwork on your behalf!

I have years of experience working with clients from overseas and from Noosa surrounds who have their unique, sunny destination wedding in Australia. With my help, the process is smooth, quick and easy.

Before commencing the legal process, I’ll sit down with you and your partner to understand what legal requirements you need to adhere to when getting married in Australia. Whether you’re after a traditional wedding or an intimate elopement, I’m here to help.

If you aren’t available for a face-to-face meeting, that’s fine too!

I am available to speak to you over Skype and/or phone to discuss all the requirements in advance of your destination wedding to ensure everything goes according to plan on your special day.

Don’t commit to a thing. Let’s just chat about how I might be able to help.

Call 0438 919 759 Now

Wedding Locations

Wedding celebrants don’t just service their hometown; a good wedding celebrant will travel to you!

Primarily located in Noosa, I’m available to travel to where you want to hold your ceremony within a reasonable distance.

This includes:

  • Sunshine Coast
  • Brisbane
  • Noosa
  • Caloundra
  • Maleny
  • And beyond

Ready to book a celebrant?

Better to grab a wedding celebrant early and get it out of the way.

Let me take care of the dry legal stuff while you enjoy the good stuff.

Decided to take the plunge? Leave the rest to me!

Frequently Asked Questions

As your celebrant, I am registered under the Australian Marriage Celebrants Incorporated organisation. By Australian marriage law, only celebrants registered by the AMC can submit legal paperwork on your behalf to legally solemnise the marriage.
No. Australian law made same sex marriage legal in December 2017 which now means that same sex couples go through the same process of getting married that heterosexual couples do.
Of course. If you are born outside of Australia, just ensure you read the above legal paperwork requirements or talk to me about the process of lodging your paperwork prior to your wedding. I’m always here to help!
On the day of your wedding, you will sign three marriage certificates. Each certificate needs to be signed by you, me (as your celebrant) and your two witnesses. I then provide your marriage paperwork to the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state you get married in (if that’s picturesque Noosa, it’s the Queensland registry).
Some people choose to take their partner’s last name after they get married. If you are interested in changing your surname after your wedding, you need to apply for a formal change of name by visiting the Births, Deaths and Marriages registry of the state you live in. This process would be different if you are born outside of Australia, in which case you need to visit your country’s government website to view their policies and processes of name changes.

Let’s make your ceremony unforgettable, no matter how many champagnes you have.

Got a vision for your wedding? I’d love to hear it.

Let’s chat